Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Security Update for I.E.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Security Update for I.E.

    The IT guy for my office sent us an email today having us update all our computers ASAP. (Four of our office's new computers had been hit already and had to be completely reformatted.)


    Update for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...&displaylang=en

    Update for Vista
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...&displaylang=en



    Related article:

    Microsoft releasing emergency patch for perilous IE flaw

    SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) ? Microsoft will release an emergency patch on Wednesday to fix a perilous software flaw allowing hackers to hijack Internet Explorer browsers and take over computers.

    The US software giant said on Tuesday that in response to "the threat to customers" it immediately mobilized security engineering teams worldwide to deliver a software cure "in the unprecedented time of eight days."

    According to researchers at software security firm Trend Micro, attacks based on the vulnerability in the world's most popular Web browser are spreading "like wildfire" with millions of computers already compromised.

    Microsoft typically releases patches for its software on the second Tuesday of each month and rushing this fix to computer users out-of-cycle is testimony to the severe danger of the threat, according to Trend Micro.

    "When the patch is released people should run, not walk, to get it installed," said Trend Micro advanced threat researcher Paul Ferguson.

    "This vulnerability is being actively exploited by cyber-criminals and getting worse every day."

    Trend Micro has identified about 10,000 websites that have been infected with malicious software that can be surreptitiously slipped into visitors' unprotected IE browsers to take advantage of the flaw.

    A major Internet portal in Taiwan is among the legitimate websites unknowingly tainted with malicious software aimed at IE's weak spot, according to Ferguson.

    Hackers can take control of infected computers, steal data, redirect browsers to dubious websites, and use machines for devious activities such as attacks on other networks, according to security specialists.

    "What makes this so insidious is it takes advantage of a big gaping hole of IE, which has the largest install base of any browser on the market," Ferguson said.

    IE is used on nearly three-quarters of the world's computers, according to industry statistics from November.

    "At this time, we are aware only of attacks that attempt to use this vulnerability against Windows Internet Explorer 7," said Microsoft security response communications head Christopher Budd.

    "Microsoft encourages customers to test and deploy this update as soon as possible. Microsoft's teams worked around the clock."

    Ferguson said the flaw is being taken advantage of in "multiple versions" of IE not just the most current.

    Trend Micro urges IE users to heed precautionary advice from Microsoft, or avoid using the browsers, until the patches are applied.

    "There is a working flaw circulating in the criminal underground," Ferguson said. "It opens the window of opportunity that much wider to take advantage and there has not been real protection against it."

    The "exploit" is similar to one used recently to steal user names, passwords and other information from people playing online games in China, according to Trend Micro.

    A Chinese computer security firm that had discovered attacks taking advantage of the IE flaw released details last week after evidently thinking Microsoft had fixed the problem with routinely released software patches.

    "It spread like wildfire from there," Ferguson said. "I guess they were trying to be responsible and share what they knew about what was going on, but they were mistaken about it being patched."



    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Milk3's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2008
    Posts
    2,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Security Update for I.E.

    Firefox ftw
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/redskins3.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/6a00d83451ba6469e200e54f0eaffb8833-.gif[/img]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/MattMan7/unc1-1.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Security Update for I.E.

    Some people use it, most don't.
    Firefox cannot be used at my office, for instance.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Security Update for I.E.

    I noticed at the college that all of the computers had both installed, guess this is a good reason why.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Security Update for I.E.

    I, up until a couple of days ago always used IE. I downloaded Firefox and have been using it and it takes quite a while to get used to. I have run into problems with it though, some of the site I frequent for work don't work at all with Firefox so I have to go back use IE with them and they work fine.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Security Update for I.E.

    I have both. Creature of habit, I tend to use IE, but there are times that it seems one won't work or the other won't work. It never hurts to have both. Firefox isn't above having issues, there have been a few security holes with it and honestly if Microsoft bought it today, tomorrow there would be 100 security holes found it, the issue is it's not Microsoft and hackers don't put a bullseye on it.

    I'm surprised that the computers were hit that elp6n mentioned, from what I had read, this security hole wasn't 'damaging' as much as it opened you up to be hacked. It was stealing passwords via game sites but that was what it was 'supposedly' limited to early. They were expecting it to be used for other attacks, but don't think or didn't think it had a destructive attribute.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Security Update for I.E.

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed at the college that all of the computers had both installed, guess this is a good reason why. </div></div>


    it's easier to run the blackboard website with firefox.. when you have to take online test, ie explorer had a history of freezing up.. firefox is better for that, and viewing videos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •